incubator-general mailing list archives

From John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Crail 1.0-incubating (RC2)
Date Thu, 10 May 2018 20:05:18 GMT
Ok, now I see the difference between them.  Whew.

The Crail PPMC is going to rename Crail's release from 1.0-rc2 to 1.0 I would assume.  However,
when users extract the files, even if they fix it the way you're describing you'll end up
with a -rc2 in the path.

John

On 2018/05/10 19:56:11, Julian Hyde <jhyde@apache.org> wrote:
> I’m talking about directories inside the .tar.gz too.
>
> Currently there is a leading directory. This is good:
>
> $ tar tvfz apache-crail-1.0-rc2-incubating-source.tar.gz |head -3
> drwxr-xr-x  0 jpf    jpf         0 Apr 23 04:32 incubator-crail/
> drwxr-xr-x  0 jpf    jpf         0 Apr 23 04:32 incubator-crail/client/
> -rw-r--r--  0 jpf    jpf      2625 Apr 23 04:32 incubator-crail/client/pom.xml
>
> No leading directory would be bad (in my opinion):
>
> $ tar tvfz apache-crail-1.0-rc2-incubating-source.tar.gz |head -2
> drwxr-xr-x  0 jpf    jpf         0 Apr 23 04:32 client/
> -rw-r--r--  0 jpf    jpf      2625 Apr 23 04:32 client/pom.xml
>
> A leading directory named after the release would be better:
>
> $ tar tvfz apache-crail-1.0-rc2-incubating-source.tar.gz |head -3
> drwxr-xr-x  0 jpf    jpf         0 Apr 23 04:32 apache-crail-1.0-incubating-src/
> drwxr-xr-x  0 jpf    jpf         0 Apr 23 04:32 apache-crail-1.0-incubating-src/client/
> -rw-r--r--  0 jpf    jpf      2625 Apr 23 04:32 apache-crail-1.0-incubating-src/client/pom.xml
>
> Julian
>
> > On May 10, 2018, at 12:46 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > BTW, I just re-read your reply.
> >
> > I'm not talking about the root of the calcite dist area, it's pretty common that
projects create a /dist/dev/incubator/<podling>/version# folder.  I'm talking about
the actual inside of the tar/zip file having an extra directory.

> > John
> >
> > On 2018/05/10 19:44:53, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
> >> Ok, I suspect we're seeing the same issues then, just me looking at it on windows
my brain can't even process it any longer :-D

> >> Calcite inherits from the ASF parent pom.  This means the standard source-release
distribution is applied.  I'm not sure how Crail created their source release, but I suspect
if they switch out to use ASF parent and regenerate it (mvn release:prepare release:perform)
they'll get the right output format in the zip/tar.gz.

> >> I saw on list there's some hesitation in using the parent.  If so, you can just
pull out the distribution logic from the parent pom's repo ( https://github.com/apache/maven-apache-parent/blob/master/pom.xml#L336-L417
) and merge that into the Crail pom.

> >> John

<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/calcite/apache-calcite-1.16.0/apache-calcite-1.16.0-src.tar.gz>

directory, so I made a couple, and put them on my web server. In the first, directory names
are preceded by “./“ because I created using “tar cvfz /tmp/ament.tar.gz .”. In the
second, there are no prefixes.

the same on macOS, linux or windows (Cygwin).

in README.md. -1 until those are fixed.

(including NOTICE, README and DISCLAIMER) in a directory that is named after the release.
If you do otherwise, you make it more difficult for the user to clean up if they accidentally
unzip the file in the wrong place.

so much), is this a windows thing?  I've been reviewing mostly tar.gz files recently and I
can't think of any that have a nested directory.  But it could be my mac was cleaning things
up.

I'm doing (I've grown to be a mac user), but there's a root incubator-crail folder that's
in the zip.  We typically expect the LICENSE/NOTICE/DISCLAIMER at the root.

not include the incubating disclaimer text.  One of those two needs to exist.

 That looks fine.  If you can fix the disclaimer and repack to not the extra directory I'll
vote +1, but I'm -1 without that.  Disclaimer is the one thing we mandate, and i cannot budge
on that.  I will verify the sig once you send me the keys file location.

Crail 1.0-incubating

<mailto:general-help@incubator.apache.org>