incubator-general mailing list archives

From John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Crail 1.0-incubating (RC2)
Date Thu, 10 May 2018 19:46:53 GMT
BTW, I just re-read your reply.

I'm not talking about the root of the calcite dist area, it's pretty common that projects
create a /dist/dev/incubator/<podling>/version# folder.  I'm talking about the actual
inside of the tar/zip file having an extra directory.

John

On 2018/05/10 19:44:53, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
> Ok, I suspect we're seeing the same issues then, just me looking at it on windows my
brain can't even process it any longer :-D

> Calcite inherits from the ASF parent pom.  This means the standard source-release distribution
is applied.  I'm not sure how Crail created their source release, but I suspect if they switch
out to use ASF parent and regenerate it (mvn release:prepare release:perform) they'll get
the right output format in the zip/tar.gz.

> I saw on list there's some hesitation in using the parent.  If so, you can just pull
out the distribution logic from the parent pom's repo ( https://github.com/apache/maven-apache-parent/blob/master/pom.xml#L336-L417
) and merge that into the Crail pom.

> John
>
> On 2018/05/10 19:10:29, Julian Hyde <jhyde@apache.org> wrote:
> > Here’s a tar file where every file is in a sub-directory:
> >
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/calcite/apache-calcite-1.16.0/apache-calcite-1.16.0-src.tar.gz
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/calcite/apache-calcite-1.16.0/apache-calcite-1.16.0-src.tar.gz>

> > I couldn’t find any examples under dist/release with files in the root directory,
so I made a couple, and put them on my web server. In the first, directory names are preceded
by “./“ because I created using “tar cvfz /tmp/ament.tar.gz .”. In the second, there
are no prefixes.

> > http://www.hydromatic.net/ament.tar.gz <http://www.hydromatic.net/ament.tar.gz>
> >
> > http://www.hydromatic.net/ament2.tar.gz <http://www.hydromatic.net/ament2.tar.gz>
> >
> > My personal tool of choice for browsing tar.gz files is emacs. Things look the same
on macOS, linux or windows (Cygwin).

> > Julian
> >
> > > On May 10, 2018, at 11:42 AM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
> > >

> > > Julian,

README.md. -1 until those are fixed.

(including NOTICE, README and DISCLAIMER) in a directory that is named after the release.
If you do otherwise, you make it more difficult for the user to clean up if they accidentally
unzip the file in the wrong place.

> > > Weird.  Again, I've been using mac for a while (hate being back on windows
so much), is this a windows thing?  I've been reviewing mostly tar.gz files recently and I
can't think of any that have a nested directory.  But it could be my mac was cleaning things
up.

> > > Do you have some examples I could look at to see the difference?

(I've grown to be a mac user), but there's a root incubator-crail folder that's in the zip.
 We typically expect the LICENSE/NOTICE/DISCLAIMER at the root.

include the incubating disclaimer text.  One of those two needs to exist.

 That looks fine.  If you can fix the disclaimer and repack to not the extra directory I'll
vote +1, but I'm -1 without that.  Disclaimer is the one thing we mandate, and i cannot budge
on that.  I will verify the sig once you send me the keys file location.