incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de.INVALID>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 RC1 (incubating) rc1
Date Sun, 27 May 2018 21:31:41 GMT
Hi folks!

Justin, thanks for talking such a deep look and catching those flaws, really appreciated!

Here is my personal view: It's just test data, and if we can guarantee that the test data
is IP clean then it's not a problem.
I remember other ASF projects which have class files compiled with old Java versions checked
in as class files. They are used to verify backward compatibility of our bytecode parsers
(proxy logic). And of course you cannot ever build those within the same build! Afair we also
committed the orignal Java sources with a comment about how to reproduce those.
Or in the maven-scm-providers-svn and maven-scm-providers-git we do this as well. There we
have a zip of a .svn and .git repos to verify the repo functionality. That's perfectly fine
as long as the content is cleared.

I've went through all of those zips [1] and verified them. Most contain just extremely simple
sample XSDs. The zips are on the Oracle contribution list. So they are covered by the code
drop. I think it's not a show stopper as they are dead simple and contain no IP able content,
but to have it even more polished we might later re-package them and add an ALv2 LICENSE file
to the zip files (just to be dead sure).
The Java parts are either empty jars (funny that an Oracle project has something cmpiled with
Azul Zulu btw ;) ) or dead simple (just method signature with empty body). So nothiing which
constitutes originary IP again.

Rest looks fine, so

+1

from me (binding).

txs and LieGrue,
strub

[1]
~/tmp/delete/incubating-netbeans-java-9.0-rc1-source$>find . -name "*.zip"
./projectimport.eclipse.core/test/unit/data/myeclipselibstest.zip
./websvc.saas.codegen/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/websvc/saas/codegen/JavaApplication.zip
./mercurial/test/qa-functional/data/JavaApp_repo.zip
./mercurial/test/qa-functional/data/files/pp.zip
./ide.kit/test/qa-functional/data/biglist.zip
./subversion/test/unit/data/SvnWcParserData.zip
./subversion/test/qa-functional/data/files/pp.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/resolve12.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/resolve13.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/resolve11.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/resolve10.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/resolve14.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/resolve15.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/resolve8.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/resolve9.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/performance1.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/performance2.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/cyclic_dependencies.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/resolve4.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/resolve5.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/resolve7.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/resolve6.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/resolve2.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/resolve3.zip
./xml.schema.model/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/xml/schema/model/resources/resolve1.zip
./git/test/qa-functional/data/files/pp.zip