incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Inviting new committers to a podling
Date Wed, 02 May 2018 01:40:30 GMT
Hi Craig,

I can see that in order for the secretary and incubator governance to scale we need a prescriptive
process in terms of steps which can have whimsical tooling.

(1) Discuss, propose and approve on private@. Provide permalink to threads on whimsy.

(2) In case of PPMC then ACK to IPMC.

(3) Invite individual to role using email templates. PPMC may develop their own version.

(4) New committer submits and secretary records ICLA if needed.

(5) Create account if new.

I think it is important to discuss the text and I would invert the description to emphasize
easiest trust situations first and include some guidance. Small TLPs last better with a lower
bar. Smaller podlings do better with PPMC and Committer being the same list.

I think it will help the Foundation scale.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 1, 2018, at 6:14 PM, Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Roman,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
>>> On May 1, 2018, at 3:23 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> 3. It is not obvious what the policy is for a podling to invite new committers
and PPMC members. I don't believe it should be the responsibility of the podling to decide
in isolation the process to invite new committers, just as it is not the podlings' decision
how to invite new PPMC members.

>> I actually don't quite understand this point. Care to elaborate?
>
> The policy appears to be: invite to be a committer whoever you want as long as you can
get a mentor to request the account. "There are no ASF wide rules..." There are a few extra
steps in the case of inviting a new PPMC member. I think we can do better to guide the podling
to adopt a process that is in use by the great majority of TLPs.

> It is fine if a TLP has a very casual approach to committers. Some, who came to Apache
after establishing their community processes, will invite a committer by one PMC member sending
an email and receiving no negative responses. This is consistent with the Apache Way but I
don't think it is a good example for others.

> It is much more scalable and easier to provide tooling if a TLP actually does follow
a script: discuss, vote, invite. And I believe that we should encourage podlings to follow
a script until they decide they don't like it and are willing to document their decision in
their project bylaws when they graduate.