incubator-general mailing list archives

From "吴晟 Sheng Wu" <wu.sh...@foxmail.com>
Subject Is an incubating project allowed to release if it didn't follow Apache way.
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2018 09:45:23 GMT
Hi everyone,

I have to ask this, because some friends asked me today.

Apache Weex (incubating) joined the Incubator at 2016-11-30, according to status page[1].
But someone talks to me about there is no Apache release since then, but instead, the project
is still releasing under `com.taobao.android`[2], and the Apache repo includes new tags[3].
And I can't tell whether the releases are from Apache GitHub tags, but the time match. Also
their Apache website includes these releases changelogs[4], also still can't be sure about
matching the tag by reviewing the page.

The question are:
1. Are this releases allowed? Since it is still an incubating project, maybe YES?
2. Should a project to do so, even it is allowed? From my experience, this is very strange
to me. Because I am seeing other incubating projects are doing the Apache release right after
they join the incubator.

By being an Apache incubating project, most important, should learn to follow Apache way to
govern project. But didn't release in that way(vote, check, release) didn't seem right to
me.

Anyway, those are questions I can't answer. So could someone help? I want to make sure that,
I give the right answers.

[1] https://incubator.apache.org/projects/weex.html
[2] https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.taobao.android/weex_sdk
[3] https://github.com/apache/incubator-weex/releases
[4] http://weex.incubator.apache.org/releasenote.html

Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking original creator and PPMC member