incubator-general mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Question about IP CLEARANCE
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2018 23:18:56 GMT
Two questions about IP CLEARANCE:

There is a line item in the template for making sure that files are updated
to reflect ASF copyright. Must this be done before the files are actually
transferred to the receiving PMC, while still being hosted in the donating
party's repository? It seems to me that this could be done after transfer,
but before any release by the PMC, and it would be inappropriate to do this
before IP CLEARANCE has been approved, while the code is still sitting in
the donating party's repo. (Note: we're not donating a patch... otherwise
the patch would include any such alterations; rather, we're trying to
donate an entire git repo from one GitHub organization to an ASF project).

There is an item that says to remind active committers that they are
responsible for ensuring that a CCLA is recorded if required to authorize
their contributions under their ICLA. All the contributors to the incoming
codebase already have ICLAs on file because they are already committers to
ASF projects. Since CLAs are already filed, is this reminder necessary?
Presumably, by filing an ICLA, these committers have already accepted that
responsibility. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with this donation,
though. Does it make sense to remind people to do X before Y, when Y is a
NOOP for them?

Thanks,

Christopher