incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Question about IP CLEARANCE
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2018 02:33:56 GMT

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 16, 2018, at 7:16 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 8:28 PM Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
>
>>> On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 4:18 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Two questions about IP CLEARANCE:
>>>
>>> There is a line item in the template for making sure that files are
>> updated
>>> to reflect ASF copyright. Must this be done before the files are actually
>>> transferred to the receiving PMC, while still being hosted in the
>> donating
>>> party's repository?
>>
>> There's no requirement like that. You can transfer files into a branch and
>> do the clean up on ASF infrastructure. You will NOT be able to do releases
>> off of that branch, of course.
>>

> It's pretty clearly documented:
> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html
> If it's not a requirement, why is it there? Can I just delete it from the
> template?

No, I’m not reading the page the same way that you are. To be clear the two lines about
SGA/CCLA and Copyright changes are separate, not simultaneous.

Here are the real steps.

(1) Submit SGA/CCLA to secretary@
(2) Do IP Clearance with Incubator.
(3) Arrange with Infra and/or project moving / checking in the code.
(4) Update Copyrights - if needed. Always best if it’s someone from the contributor.

If you want to suggest updating the language or the recording tables then please provide it
for discussion.

Regards,
Dave