incubator-general mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Default webpages for new podlings
Date Sun, 15 Apr 2018 22:14:07 GMT
A template paragraph of simple HTML seems ideal, and it’s reasonable to expect podlings to
create it by the time of their first board report.

A full branding-compliant web site is a more complex undertaking, and we the IPMC should not
try to hurry that process. The podling's interests are aligned with ours: they want to build
a community, so they know they need a good web site. They can decide whether the web site
happens before or after their first release.

Druid is one of the podlings where this issue arose recently. They are one of those projects
that has a vibrant existing developer and user community. We IPMC members ask them to quickly
migrate their existing site (https://druid.io <https://druid.io/>) and lists (druid-user@googlegroups.com
<mailto:druid-user@googlegroups.com>) and they push back. Why? Because they have learned
the principal tenet of the Apache Way - community comes first.

As mentors I think we should facilitate the move to Apache infra, teach them how to comply
with branding, but mainly trust them to do what is right for their project.

Julian