incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Gobblin 0.12.0 release RC2
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2018 03:31:58 GMT
Hi,

In general just because a TLP does something doesn’t mean it’s in line with policy or
may have historic reasons for it being that way.

> Apache Hadoop: https://github.com/apache/hadoop/blob/trunk/NOTICE.txt
> Apache Spark: https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/NOTICE

Have been discussed on this list (several times) before that they are not good examples to
follow.  Some of the issues come from an upstream NOTICE files that also have issues - which
is the exact issue we’re trying to prevent.

> Apache HBase: https://github.com/apache/hbase/blob/master/NOTICE.txt
> Apache Ambari: https://github.com/apache/ambari/blob/trunk/ambari-web/app/assets/licenses/NOTICE.txt

And IMO both of those also look to have issues.

> So, isn't enforcing improvements on podling not harsh when it does not
> attracts -1 or blocks releases for other Apache TLP releases?

The incubator has not remit over TLP projects license and notice files. It’s up to those
PMCs to get it right and they should of learnt that when they went through the incubator.
If they didn’t them perhaps we need to do things a little differently here?

Thanks,
Justin