incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Self Serve & IPMC Members
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2018 11:57:03 GMT
On 09/03/18 21:47, Chris Lambertus wrote:

>> On Mar 9, 2018, at 1:35 PM, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 09/03/18 21:11, Chris Lambertus wrote:
>>> I am specifically referring to the creation of git repos with my reply,
>>> nothing else. You are correct in that the other selfserve.a.o tools for
>>> Jira, Confluence, lists, etc., are pmc-chairs, root, and secretary only.
>>> We will try and be more accurate about the karma specifics when closing
>>> issues as being “self service.”
>>>
>>> -Chris
>>
>> Is there any chance of relaxing the restrictions there a little? I'm
>> thinking either to include members of the incubator PMC or, making it a
>> little wider - ASF members?
>
> I think it’s worth a discussion. With the existing technology, I believe opening up
to PMCs would also include PPMCs, and that’s where we feel the greatest risk would be, as
PPMC members may not be fully aware of standards and procedures. My personal feeling is that
adding the IPMC access to selfserve is warranted, since that is where the bulk of the requests
tend to come from. Others in Infra may feel differently. I’d encourage some discussion here
pro or con, and see where we land.

I agree opening it up to all PMC and PPMC members would create too much
risk.

>> I get that this is increasing risk. I'm wondering if the benefit it
>> would give in terms of unblocking incubator mentors (and PMCs where the
>> Chair is unavailable) is worth that risk.
>

> My understanding is that any pmc-chair can create resources for any project via selfserve.a.o.
It does not have to be the pmc chair of that specific project, so there should be quite a
few people who can create these resources at any given time.

Quite frequently this is the case but there are also a fair number of
instances where this is not the case for some projects. I certainly have
had to fill in for a PMC chair a few times using my infra karma. Rather
than relying on another PMC chair or officer happening to be around, or
on a mentor also being a PMC chair or officer, I'd like to see this
opened up a little.

We trust ASF members. They have access to security@ and a bunch of other
sensitive lists and they should be familiar enough with the foundation
standards and procedures - or at least self-aware enough to know when
they don't know.

Opening this up to include ASF members addresses all of the instances I
can think of:
- it would include all podling mentors since they must be ASF members
- it would include the IPMC for the same reason, allowing them to
  back-stop the mentors if required
- it would enable ASF members on PMCs to provide cover if the PMC chair
  was unavailable.

Mark