incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hivemall (Incubating) v0.5.0-RC2
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2018 08:53:19 GMT
Hi,

> To clear discussion, the missing license body is specifically for
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-hivemall/blob/v0.5.0/LICENSE#L315

Again please carefully read [1] to comply you need to include a pointer to the full text of
the license not a URL. If you need to download the license text and place that in a file in
the release please do so.

> Font-awesome uses github mention for Copyright (unclear).
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-hivemall/blob/master/src/site/resources/css/font-awesome.css#L2

Also note you include code which is CC-BY according to [3].

> BTW, font-awesome is widely used in many ASF projects.
> https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=org%3Aapache+SIL+Open+Font+License+filename%3ALICENSE&type=Code

It's normally used as part of bootstrap and the license in that case is clearer.

> So, I would like to follow the other TLP project passing ASF legal checks for this incubator
release.

TLP may have historical reasons for the contents of LICENSE and NOTICE and policy has changed
over time.  While good for guidance please don’t assume that just because a TLP does something
some way that it’s OK for your project to do it the same way.

> https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/34e106f63c9dcd2673d66b47fda1555b7dced770/LICENSE#L301
> https://github.com/apache/tez/blob/247719d7314232f680f028f4e1a19370ffb7b1bb/tez-dist/dist-files/full/LICENSE#L352
> https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/0938c7b6d767e3242874d87a30d9112512d9243a/LICENSE#L264
> https://github.com/apache/phoenix/blob/ee4355791acf3f31568fcd8c43367947d25a1386/LICENSE#L233
>
> Isn't it acceptable?

IMO from a quick look none of those are acceptable but that’s for their PMCs to deal with
not the incubator. It may be that they included the full text of the license elsewhere.

>> - The NOTICE file still contains too much information [2]
>
> Made NOTICE clean and revised License headers following [1] with the
> following commit:

I see you are still listing the copyrights in NOTICE. Again please ask your mentors for help
on what is required here.

> I expect it resolves your concern.

No I would still vote -1 on a release with those changes.

Thanks,
Justin