incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc2
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2018 13:02:41 GMT

On 2018-01-22 12:36, John D. Ament wrote:

> I'm inclined to vote -1 at this point as well..  I want confirm that the
> list of issues Justin raised have been entered in your backlog.  To me, the
> minimum amount of work that has to be done to convert to a +1 is:
>
> - Remove the binary zip files from the source release

Looking at the files called process_start_<platform>.zip (items
[26...29] listed by Justin), I *think* their content was (once)
created/compiled from source, present in that same folder?

Might it be feasible to have those build/compiled at build time?
Possibly not (its C code, so maybe not easily done).
If not, are there alternatives?

> - Every issue raised by Justin represented in JIRA somewhere
> - Specific call outs in the README about test data licensing not be Apache
> license
> - Specific call outs somewhere that the XSDs, ENTs, etc are derived from
> other locations
ENTs? (unclear to me what type of files are you referring to)

Concerning XSDs or DTDs under EPL/EDL etc, as Justin already noted,
I think it might be just fine to keep them included, just require
appropriate labeling as described under

   https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

   "For small amounts of source that is directly consumed by the ASF
    product at runtime in source form, and for which that source is
    unmodified and unlikely to be changed anyway (say, by virtue of being
    specified by a standard), inclusion of appropriately labeled source
    is also permitted."

The follow-up from Justin concerning possible restrictions on commercial
use with regards to http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=317 however got me
worried.
*That* would impact not just Netbeans but a whole range of other ASF
projects as well!

Ate