incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <justinmcl...@me.com>
Subject Re: Apache Policy Quiz
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2018 06:20:00 GMT
Hi,

> Here is the precise display:
>
> Can Apache distribute products under a prohibited ('Category X') license?
> No (with a couple of exceptions).Yes but only for some common build tools.
>
> So I go ahead and click "No" because we distribute ALL products under ALv2.
> And the second option is a misdirect because we only distribute inputs to
> tools, not the tools themselves (afaik).

My reading of [1] (and I could be wrong) was that it allows distribution of Category X build
tools in ALv2 software.

Note:
"While such tools may not always be made available under an otherwise compatible license,
specific tools have been OK'ed for inclusion in Apache distributions when used for that specific
purpose."

Auto tools / Autoconf is GPL licensed. If you run rat an any release that has that in it will
flag it as including GPL software.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#build-tools