incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hivemall (Incubating) v0.5.0-RC2
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2018 23:21:51 GMT
On 30 January 2018 at 03:02, Makoto Yui <myui@apache.org> wrote:
> Justin,

>> You should be careful following other TLPs as examples and follow the instructions
here. [1] If you want some good example that the HTTP project or TomCat are I believe good
ones to follow. That or perhaps more recently graduated projects.

>>> https://github.com/apache/hadoop/blob/trunk/NOTICE.txt
>>> https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/NOTICE#L2
>
> I'll take a look at Tomcat's one.
>
>>> In your opinion, Hadoop/Spark's NOTICE file is wrong as well.
>>
>> It may be due to historical reason or they may have included issues due to malformed
upstream projects NOTICE files. Which looks to be the case here for Hadoop with the license
information being in the NOTICE file, not so sure with Spark. IMO they could do with some
improvement but that’s up the PMC of those projects to do that.

> IMO, adding license information along with copyrights in NOTICE sounds
> reasonable because comparing LICENSE with NOTICE is hard when divided
> while it may be redundant.

The NOTICE file is like a poem - it is only complete when nothing more
can be taken out.

Nothing must be added to NOTICE unless it is definitely required.

>>> I'll cancel this release and do release process again but wait for
>>> other IPMC's comment for a while to find other glitches.
>>
>> That a good idea. You might want to get your mentors to double check the release
as well. Did any on them vote on this release candidate? (From a quick look I couldn’t see
any mentor votes.)