incubator-general mailing list archives

From Tal Liron <...@cloudify.co>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache AriaTosca Release 0.2.0
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2018 01:52:33 GMT
> Would a version like "1.9.0.incubating" be feasible?

I appreciate the creative idea. :) But it's very non-standard and not with
the spirit of what the version string is for. The "official" document on
versioning is this:

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0440/

You are allowed string specifiers, but they are all meant for release
types: dev, beta, etc. I would think that adding a project status qualifier
here would be an abuse of the versioning string for adding metadata. Not
the end of the world, but feels wrong to me and might have repercussions
that I cannot foresee. Otherwise, there is quite a bit of metadata for
Python packages, and we definitely make it clear wherever we can this it is
an ASF incubating project.

By the way, Apache Airflow has a very minimal description that might not
make it so clear that it is an Apache incubating project. To compare:

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/apache-airflow/1.9.0
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/apache-ariatosca/0.1.1