incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jan Lahoda <lah...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: License headers on test data (was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc2)
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2018 14:07:52 GMT
On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 1:56 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org>
wrote:

> > > - Specific call outs in the README about test data licensing not be
> > Apache
> > > license
> > >

> > This is one of the things that are very unclear to me. If we are talking
> > about files like these [1][2][3][4][5][6] (they may appear to differ, but
> > they actually are all the same: test data), then I believe these were
> part
> > of the initial donation and I don't have a reason to believe these are
> not
> > under the Apache license. Of course we could list them in the README, but
> > if that's a requirement, I'd suggest to fix:
> > https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-exceptions
> >
> > to include that requirement to avoid further confusion.
> >

> I've seen you post this link several times now in this thread.  I
> personally have no idea what you'd like to get updated on this page, and
> the IPMC cannot help you get that updated, only the legal committee can.
>
> I'm assuming that some of your concerns are around bullet #2 "Test data for
> which the addition of a source header would cause the tests to fail."  The
> problem looking at this statement vs the file actually in source:
>
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/
> master/diff/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/modules/diff/builtin/
> provider/DiffTestFile1a.txt
>
> It includes a license header "Sun Public License".  This line in the

I agree this is bad. (I think it was not found by the re-licensing tools
because the header is broken.)

document is saying to exclude the header, but you're including a SPL
> header.  Ultimately, at this point you can't remove the header since it's
> already been declared and was not included in the relicensing of Netbeans
> to Apache License.

Not sure why is that.

There appear to be 2 (3) files with this header, used by a single testcase,
I am pretty sure we can solve that.

> Or am I miss understanding your points around changing this document?

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. If there's no other problem with test data,
we can trivially fix this one, and there won't be any problem.

Should there be any other problem with the test data, please let us know.

Thanks for finding the SPL problem,
    Jan