incubator-general mailing list archives

From Makoto Yui <m...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hivemall (Incubating) v0.5.0-RC2
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2018 01:01:46 GMT
Hi Justin,

Thank you for a careful verification.

[1] is not used anymore and should be removed.

I'll discuss with PPMC members about LICENSE/NOTICE file format.
I'll add appendix to LICENSE file about other license headers.

I used NOTICE file of Hadoop/Spark project as a reference.
https://github.com/apache/hadoop/blob/trunk/NOTICE.txt
https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/NOTICE#L2

In your opinion, Hadoop/Spark's NOTICE file is wrong as well.

I'll cancel this release and do release process again but wait for
other IPMC's comment for a while to find other glitches.

Thanks,
Makoto

> Hi,
>
> Sorry it -1 from me as there is compiled code in the sure release. [1]
>
> I checked:
> - incubating in name
> - signatures and hashes fine
> - DISCLAIMER exists
> - LICENSE is missing several things including the licence appendix and licenses of included
software [2]
> - NOTICE has some issues
> - File have ASF header but there’s some files that header have been added where IMO
they should not of been [8][9]
> - unexpended binary in source release [1]
> - could compile core
>
> Including instructions on how to build from source in the release would be useful.
>
> The source software bundles several bits of software from other projects and these need
to be mentioned in LICENSE. Please ask for help from your mentors in fixing this and read
this [2]. From what I can see LICENSE is missing:
> - MIT and OFL license font awesome [4][5]
> - public domain code included in this file [6]
> - this BSD licensed file [7] which also incorrectly has an ASF header
> - you may or may not want to list other ALv2 pieces of software as well
>
> For the NOTICE the information about relocated copyrights IMO is not correct and should
be removed as you want to keep NOTICE files as small as possible. Relocated copyright are
usually those relocated to NOTICE as part of a software grant. For instance this file [3]
has incorrectly both an ASF header and another Apache license  header and is mentioned as
a file who’s header has been relocated in NOTICE. IMO just keep the file’s original header,
don’t add an Apache one and there is no need to put anything in NOTICE.

> Also please put the actual year not "Copyright 2016 and onwards” in the NOTICE file.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> 1. hivemall-0.5.0-incubating-rc2/xgboost/lib/xgboost4j-0.7.jar
> 2. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html
> 3. hivemall-0.5.0-incubating-rc2/core/src/main/java/hivemall/smile/classification/DecisionTree.java
> 4. hivemall-0.5.0-incubating-rc2/src/site/resources/css/font-awesome.css
> 5. hivemall-0.5.0-incubating-rc2/src/site/resources/fonts/fontawesome-webfont/*
> 6. hivemall-0.5.0-incubating-rc2/core/src/main/java/hivemall/utils/math/FastMath.java
> 7. hivemall-0.5.0-incubating-rc2/core/src/main/java/hivemall/utils/codec/Base91.java
> 8. hivemall-0.5.0-incubating-rc2/core/src/main/java/hivemall/smile/classification/DecisionTree.java
> 9. hivemall-0.5.0-incubating-rc2/core/src/main/java/hivemall/smile/regression/RegressionTree.java

Makoto YUI <myui AT apache.org>
Research Engineer, Treasure Data, Inc.
http://myui.github.io/