incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: License headers on test data (was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc2)
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2018 13:40:22 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 2:35 PM, Geertjan Wielenga
<geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:

> https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/master/nbbuild/build.xml
> This is what line 2105 says:
> <exclude name="*/test/unit/data/**" /> <!--would cause tests to fail--> ...

Maybe grouping those exclusions by families would make it easier for
reviewers to understand them: first the ones which are not creative,
then those where a header would cause tests to fail etc.

> ...You're saying the comment isn't needed in the README...

What I'm saying is that it shouldn't be duplicated - have the README
point to that build.xml file,or as discussed a file that just has RAT
exclusions, and add the comments next to the exclusions, pointing to
apache.org docs where useful.

> ...can NETBEANS-306 be closed as resolved?...

I suggest grouping the exclusions that fall in that family and adding
a pointer to the Apache docs that mention that the header is not
required if it causes tests to fail.

You then get links from README -> commented RAT exclusions -> Apache
documentation which provide a clear justification.

-Bertrand