incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david.a.jen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc2
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2018 23:39:27 GMT
To clarify a bit:
> [snip]
>> platform/modules/ext/org.eclipse.osgi_3.9.1.v20140110-1610.jar
>> - I’m not sure if the OSGi license is compatible with the Apache one. It’s
>> not listed in Category A/B/X you may need to ask on legal discuss. It may
>> be under EPL but not 100% sure.

OSGI code is AL v2 licensed. If i have correctly identified the jar under discussion
http://hg.netbeans.org/binaries/E5DDC5E827D3D62E7BE9F7E32927CA01F2839971-org.eclipse.osgi_3.9.1.v20140110-1610.jar
<http://hg.netbeans.org/binaries/E5DDC5E827D3D62E7BE9F7E32927CA01F2839971-org.eclipse.osgi_3.9.1.v20140110-1610.jar>
 it contains a version of equinox, the eclipse foundation implementation of an OSGI framework;
this is EPL 1.0 licensed if obtained directly from the eclipse foundation, but may be licensed
differently if redistributed. It’s unclear to me what is in this jar from the discussion
about it on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-361 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-361>
> Apache Felix is using those as well, I think?

Apache Felix uses OSGI code packaged by OSGI and typically distributed via maven central.
 This is all ALv2 licensed.
Some Felix subprojects can be configured to use unmodified equinox (the eclipse OSGI framework
implementation) for testing as well as the Felix framework implementation.
As far as I know no Felix subprojects depend on any equinox jars for non-test purposes.

[snip]

david jencks