incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Beta (incubating) rc2
Date Sat, 20 Jan 2018 22:04:59 GMT
Hi,

> I see there's multiple issues in here, but do you agree that files like [1]
> are dual licensed EPLv1 and EDLv1 (BSD-3-Clause) so can be included?

Normally when something is dual licensed  you include which license you select in the LICENSE
file. [1] EDL is Category A so if something was was EPL or EDL licensed then that would be
fine. However I’m not 100% sure that the file is dual licensed in that you can select which
license applies. From the header “ This program and the accompanying materials are made
available under the terms of the Eclipse Public License v1.0 and Eclipse Distribution License
v. 1.0  which accompanies this distribution.” to me that seems to be saying that parts of
the content are under each license not that you can select a license.

Note that the category B description also contains this text below, so it may be allowed on
that basis. (Given that it’s very unlikely to change.)

"For small amounts of source that is directly consumed by the ASF product at runtime in source
form, and for which that source is unmodified and unlikely to be changed anyway (say, by virtue
of being specified by a standard), inclusion of appropriately labeled source is also permitted.
An example of this is the web-facesconfig_1_0.dtd, whose inclusion is mandated by the JSR
127: JavaServer Faces specification.”

Thanks
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#mutually-exclusive