incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org>
Subject Re: Podling user@ lists (was: [PROPOSAL] SkyWalking - proposal for Apache Incubation)
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2017 18:57:38 GMT
On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 10:06 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 December 2017 at 13:52, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > At the same time, if we're saying we want to limit the creation of user@
> > lists, if a podling is already established and using forums, discourse,
> > slack, google groups, etc, do we recommend to keep those open for user type
> > questions, until they feel they are ready to move to Apache fully?
> >

> That seems to me to be the sensible approach.
>
> There's no need to move user mailing lists until the podling actually graduates.
>
> Also, if the podling fails to graduate, the user ASF list would be
> closed, whereas the original forums etc could continue as before.

IMHO, avoiding establishing TLP-like procedures for fear that a
podling may not graduate (or postponing establishing those procedures
until graduation) is self-defeating.

Speaking as a member of a recently-graduated podling that joined the
Incubator with an established user base, I think we would not have
done as well without a user@ list.

- Mike