incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de.INVALID>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache BatchEE 0.5-incubating
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2017 08:44:43 GMT
Hi Justin!

tldr; I think we are fine and it has been clarified when we started incubation.

longer version:
IBM developed a JBatch RI at github. They didn't officially submit their JBatch RI as podling
but just gave us the OK to  do a 'friendly fork'. IBM peeps even actively participate by having
open discussions on the batche dev lists and submitting patches. And ofc we are also perfectly
fine to contribute back to their version!
But still it's not an official donation and Copyright grant to the ASF and thus we also should
not remove the original Copyright headers [1].
All the rest (files with ASF headers) are initially developed here at BatchEE and fully from
us.

What we probably should do is to review all the (c) IBM files and check where we did add some
significant amount of work (surpassing the threshold of originality).
For those files we should _additionally_ also add the (c) ASF to the headers imo. Not a biggie,
but should be done.

> IMO If the files with IBM copyright were donated to the ASF then the headers should be
replaced with ASF headers. If that is not the case and they are 3rd party files that are bundled
in an Batchee release then the IBM headers should stay and the LICENSE needs to make it clear
when they come from.

I think there is no need to add anything to LICENSE as they are ALv2 anyway. And we already
mention IBM in the NOTICE file. So this part is fine as wall afaict.

And txs for reviewing!

LieGrue,
strub

[1] https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
 > Do not modify or remove any copyright notices or licenses within third-party works.

> Am 11.12.2017 um 08:30 schrieb Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>:
>
> Hi,
>
>> We didnt change the headers (see
>> https://github.com/WASdev/standards.jsr352.jbatch/blob/master/com.ibm.jbatch.container/src/main/java/com/ibm/jbatch/container/impl/RetryHandler.java).
>
> Then I’m slightly confused as you have 450+ files with ASF headers and 120+ with IBM
ones. Now I don’t know the history of your project so this could be perfectly fine, and
I’m missing something, but again it makes it hard to review.

> Where those 450+ ASF header files not in the donation and have been created since? I
can can also see that that repo above has a lengthy NOTICE file (although it seems to incorrectly
mention the Apache license and testing license information so I’m not 100% what if anything
needs to be propagated to your current NOTICE file). I can also see that files with IBM copyrights
have been changed at Apache e.g. [1]