incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Birdsall <dave.birds...@esgyn.com>
Subject RE: Affiliation vs. individual
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2017 18:15:12 GMT
Hi Gunnar,

Just a question: Many employers in their employment contracts specify that any software work
done by employees, even off hours, is the property of the company. I'm wondering if such situations
place a requirement on a private donor to clear outside contributions with their employer?

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Gunnar Tapper [mailto:tapper.gunnar@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 4, 2017 11:07 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Affiliation vs. individual

Hi,

I've discussed this with a few individuals but would like to raise the discussion with a larger
group.

Situation

As contributors to the ASF, we represents ourselves as individuals. Some of us contribute
to projects as part of our employment, some of us donate our time privately.

Discussion

You the individual is asked to share your employer when going through processes such as graduation.
I get the reason: to ensure diversity in the project.

However, some of us are donating our private time and may therefore want to represent ourselves
as a private donor rather than involve our employeer in the discussion.

[Disclosure: I work for a company that is unlikely to have an issue with my involvement with
ASF projects outside what my company cares for.]

Proposal

Anyone that chooses to do so can use "private donation" instead of the employer when representing
affiliation.

Thoughts?

--
Thanks,