incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release 1.5.1 of NetBeans HTML/Java API
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2017 21:59:36 GMT
On 17 November 2017 at 21:13, Jaroslav Tulach <jaroslav.tulach@gmail.com> wrote:
> 17. 11. 2017 v 12:48, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com>:
>
>>> On 16 November 2017 at 22:19, Jaroslav Tulach <jaroslav.tulach@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>> 72h is gone and (I think) we still need one more vote. C'mon it's a formality
(version 1.5.1 is better than 1.5 and 1.5 was approved). Somebody please help us move on.

>> Sorry to interrupt, but release approval is never a formality.
>
> As expected... I knew my comment would provoke a reaction. Too bad it didn't provoke
a binding vote...

>> Each release must be separately approved.
>> Things can go wrong when assembling the release artifacts.
>> For example files can be omitted or spurious files can be included
>> (did the RM use a clean workspace?)
>
> The release is prepared by a Jenkins job
> https://builds.apache.org/view/Incubator%20Projects/job/incubator-netbeans-html4j-release/
> The reason is simple - I don't trust myself to not make some stupid mistake and thus
I automate as much as I can. Thanks to that I can remain convinced release 1.5.1 is better
than previous version 1.5 and none of them contain any spurious files.

Whilst automation helps to reduce errors, it cannot guarantee to eliminate them.
Can you prove that there are no bugs in the release script?
Or any of the libraries that it depends on?

There was an instance on another project some years ago where they
were convinced that their automated processes were faultless.
Indeed they mostly did work well.

However there were some faulty builds.
In at least one case some spurious files were found in the release
archives - a faulty test case left some output behind in the wrong
place.

> Binding vote, anybody?
> -jt
>

>>> Thanks.
>>> -jt

more binding vote would be good. Please give HTML/Java API few minutes to cast your vote.
Thanks.