incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: PPMC voting new committers
Date Sun, 05 Nov 2017 01:57:57 GMT
I'm of two minds on this: on one hand, in the beginning of the
incubation process something
like this certainly makes sense. Yet, towards the graduation we should
really encourage
the PPMC to behave more like a TLP PMC.  As such they should have an
option NOT to
follow these somewhat arbitrary rules but instead come up with the
rules of their own
(within the foundation policy and doctrine of course).

Not sure how to reconcile these two aspects.

Thanks,
Roman.

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to see a change in incubator policy w.r.t. voting new committers.
>
> While there are no Foundation policies on how to vote new committers, we do have best
practices documented in http://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html that explicitly calls
for consensus approval of at least three positive votes and no vetoes.

> Applying this to the incubator, it makes sense to me to change the incubator policy to
require a vote (no lazy consensus) and at least three PPMC votes in favor. I'd also add a
requirement for at least one Mentor vote in favor.

> After graduation, communities might feel that they know better and can adopt bylaws that
are different from the community best practices. But while in incubation I think that we should
enforce best practice.