incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject PPMC voting new committers
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2017 17:34:09 GMT
I'd like to see a change in incubator policy w.r.t. voting new committers.

While there are no Foundation policies on how to vote new committers, we do have best practices
documented in http://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html that explicitly calls for consensus
approval of at least three positive votes and no vetoes.

Applying this to the incubator, it makes sense to me to change the incubator policy to require
a vote (no lazy consensus) and at least three PPMC votes in favor. I'd also add a requirement
for at least one Mentor vote in favor.

After graduation, communities might feel that they know better and can adopt bylaws that are
different from the community best practices. But while in incubation I think that we should
enforce best practice.

Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org