incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [LAZY] Letting anyone invite on Slack
Date Sat, 14 Oct 2017 06:06:51 GMT
Hi Henri,

We tried to use slack with the Juneau project and never got it to work "the Apache Way". Inviting
people instead of self-service, no ability to monitor discussions, no archive of discussions.

We gave up and now use the wiki whenever mail doesn't serve. Common editing of documents,
diagrams, etc. are all easily done on confluence where email doesn't allow sharing documents.

I frankly do not see slack filling a need here.

Craig

> On Oct 13, 2017, at 9:51 PM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Currently only 'admins' can invite people to the ASF Slack:
>
>  https://the-asf.slack.com/
>
> If we view it as an IRC equivalent, having to invite people at all is
> weird. We can, via a checkbox, change it so anyone on the ASF Slack (except
> 'guests') can invite someone to the Slack workspace:
>
> ----
>
> Invitations
>
> Choose whether to allow non-admins to invite new people to *ASF*.
>
> Allow everyone (except guests) to invite new members.
> ----
>
> I can't see why we'd have an issue there, so I'm planning to turn that
> checkbox on at the end of next week (Thursday or whenever I remember to
> after that :) ).
>
> If this is a bad idea, please object and let me know why :)
>
> Hen

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org