incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache PDFBox JBIG2 ImageIO Plugin
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2017 17:29:35 GMT
Hi Andreas,

> On Sep 25, 2017, at 9:37 AM, Andreas Lehmkuehler <andreas@lehmi.de> wrote:
>
> Am 25.09.2017 um 17:42 schrieb Craig Russell:
>> Hi Andreas,

If we are preserving the original (alv2) license and copyright it's ok to redistribute it
with the original headers.
then IP provenance (with a corresponding a grant or CCLA) is needed and the headers can then
be changed.
>>> Levigo already did all the work. They changed the license, the headers and the
java package names as well. They asked all contributors outside the core team if they are
ok with changing the license, see [1]
>> Changing the license is one thing. Changing the header is quite a different thing.
The Apache header states that the code is "licensed to Apache under one or more contributor
license agreements". This means that there is an ICLA, CCLA, or grant on file from all contributors.
It looks like @dbdr and @janpe2 agree to the license change to aslv2 but we don't have an
ICLA on file from them. Are these the only two contributors at issue?
> We don't have an ICLA from those two. Their contribution (@dbr [1] and @janpe2 [2], [3])
is limited to a few lines of code which won't require any ICLA if those were contributions
to PDFBox.

It was not obvious from the information that I could see easily that these were trivial contributions.
If they were limited to a few lines of code I have no problem with their contributions with
or without a grant.

Craig

> Do we really require an ICLA from them?
>

> [1] https://github.com/levigo/jbig2-imageio/pull/3/files
> [2] https://github.com/levigo/jbig2-imageio/pull/28/files
> [3] https://github.com/levigo/jbig2-imageio/pull/29/files
>
> Andreas
>
>> If we don't have grants (ICLA, CCLA, grant) on file, then the license headers should
not be changed, And the Apache distribution needs to preserve the copyrights of the original.
>> The change from the third party license header to the Apache license header should
really only be done here under Apache version control.
>> Craig
>>>
>>> Levigo filed an SGA and we have 4 ICLAs from the core team on file:
>>>
>>> - Jörg Henne (He is already an Apache Directory committer [2] and managing the
transfer)
>>> - Matthäus Mayer
>>> - Sebastian Holder (Levigo employee)
>>> - Carolin Köhler (Levigo employee)
>>>
>>> And we have a new CCLA on file for Carolin and Sebastian.
>>>
>>> I hope this is the missing information you are looking for.
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/levigo/jbig2-imageio/issues/31
>>> [2] http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?uid=hennejg

Just, do