incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Do not accept software grants with conditionals or exclusions
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2017 19:10:31 GMT
-1 for an overly broad restriction that needs a bit of discretion.

The situation that caused this issue to be raised is that a grant was made of a specific set
of files contained in a .zip archive. That set of files contained no non-donated IP. The issue
is that the grant had a list of excluded projects, and the wording of the grant was to exclude
the list without limitation. This wording made the grant very ambiguous.

I do not intend to accept any more such overly ambiguous grants.

The reason to reject this particular vote is that the statement

> mentioning that some material contained in that
> archive might not be donated.

itself is not an absolute limitation either.

A grant of a specific git repository of a working project at a particular commit level is
fine to contain a list of exclusions. The exclusions are to files that are not being donated,
but are included in the project because other files that are being donated depend on the excluded
files.

As long as it is clear from the wording of the grant which files are included and which files
are excluded, the grant should be ok.

In any event, during IP Clearance the project is responsible for understanding the terms of
the grant and for importing into the Apache repository and changing the license header only
those files that are granted.

Craig

> On Sep 7, 2017, at 1:07 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Incubator PMC.
>
> We recently received a software grant pointing to an archive file for
> the code donation, but mentioning that some material contained in that
> archive might not be donated.
>
> This was discussed on the PMC private list and it looks like we have
> consensus for rejecting such grants in the future: software donations
> should only include the files that are donated, without conditionals
> or exclusions. Anything else puts an unnecessary burden on our
> podlings and mentors, for sorting out what's donated or not.
>
> This is a vote to formalize the decision to reject such grants in the future.
>
> This majority vote is open for at least 72 hours.
>
> Here's my +1.
>
> -Bertrand

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation