incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel Shahaf <...@daniel.shahaf.name>
Subject Re: Digests in releases
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2017 02:49:48 GMT
Dave Fisher wrote on Thu, 31 Aug 2017 13:35 -0700:
> Regardless of what Jane User knows, and we have 200 million Jane Users of Apache OpenOffice,
I think it would be helpful to have an Apache Download checker program/script that could be
run to confirm the bonafides.

> An idea.

Why stop here?  On unix this problem is largely solved, by
'${packagemanager} install foo' (substitute your distro's package
manager).  Why not set up a package manager (program + repository
service) for windows?

With 200M users, though, somebody's going to write phishing software
that impersonates the package manager.  There's no easy way around the
web of trust.