incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Urgent: Regarding Java package name change to org.apache.*
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2017 07:42:21 GMT
On 03/08/17 05:13, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 6:13 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 8:54 PM Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org>
>> wrote:

>>> it a

>>> gobblin.*
>>>
>>> You don't have to do it right away, but it is a requirement unless you
>>> have a really,
>>> really, really good reason of why you can't do that.
>>>

>> I'm not aware of any requirement around Java package naming.  IN fact, last
>> time it came up it was clear that its a best practice only, and doesn't
>> have any actual naming requirements.
>
> I'm not a policy wonk, but for every single podling I've witnessed this
> has been a very strong bias to be in o.a namespace.
>
> Speaking as an IPMC member I would like to see new projects migrate
> into o.a namespace unless there's a really good reason not to.
>
> Or to put it another way, if you want to avoid threads like this one:
>     http://markmail.org/message/2bsrtgckuuihhnv4
> during your graduation VOTE -- it is better to think about rename now.

Jena was in a similar position with the main APIs under non o.a package
spaces.

We waited until a major version came along and that was several years
after graduation.  While it had always been the intent to change, we
could see that there was going to be major version hop due to othe
factors and we didn't want to do it twice. We did move non-API code
under o.a much earlier on an piecemeal basis.

Jena users also have data with URI naming based on host names from our
origins in HP. We have not moved those to a.o names but encourage
migration though outputting some warnings when it is encountered and can
easily changed.

I think it sends a positive signal to new contributors to make the
package change but it isn't always practical to do so by graduation.
The user community is already impacted by moving the mailing lists and
web sites etc.

For JVM-related projects, the maven coordinates change on entering
incubation. That is a strong enough signal.

     Andy