incubator-general mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Notice to Podlings RE Facebook BSD+Patents License
Date Sun, 20 Aug 2017 03:31:32 GMT
All,

I plan to send the below email, or some form of it, to all podlings in the
coming days.  I don't think anything on here is private or confidential so
I don't think it's an issue discussing it in the open.  Podlings who may be
reading this, please understand that this is a draft only.  Feel free to
discuss and provide input on this list as well.  Do not take the contents
of this email as a final decision or path forward until you have received
it on your dev list.

-------------------
Dear Podlings,

I'm writing to inform you of a legal decision that has been made that may
impact your podling.  During a recent request [1], the foundation reviewed
the license on a project called RocksDB which at that time was licensed
under the Facebook BSD+Patents License.  Based on the foundation's review,
it was determined that software that used this license fell under what we
call Category X, the category for all licenses that may not be included in
Apache products.  In turn, RocksDB was relicensed to the Apache license.
This license is used in a number of other Facebook Open Source projects.  A
request was then made to relicense other software under the Apache
License.  This request was declined.

I wanted to reach out to all podlings at this point to reiterate the goals
of incubation.  We don't expect that you have perfect releases while in the
incubator, but that by the time you exit the incubator you are complying
with foundation policy around all of your releases.  So what does this
mean? Basically, while you are incubating if you are using a project that
is shipped with this license you should follow these guidelines:

- While producing a source release, ensure that no source code with this
license is in your release.
- Avoid creating a binary release with this software in it.
- Podlings who are not already using software with this license should not
add it as a dependency.
- By the time you graduate, you must have removed this as a dependency
within your project.

Basically, we are counting on the fact that a disclaimer is present in your
release bundle to mitigate the foundation defined incorrect release
structure.  There may be some podlings that feel that the libraries in
question are critical to their functionality.  Many of these libraries have
alternatives to consider which you may find useful.  However, if you get to
a point where you feel that switching is a blocker to being a successful
project, please bring it up with your mentors and/or other IPMC members so
that we can help you plan for a way forward.

Regards,

John D. Ament
VP, Apache Incubator

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-303