incubator-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Distributed Release Audit Tool (DRAT)
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2017 11:46:54 GMT
(note mixed private/public lists)

General questions, since... we haven't actually had any discussion yet.

- Is there a particular hurry to bring this to pTLP faster than the
traditional general@incubator discussion period is?

- Has the Apache Creadur project been consulted about the new project
proposal, and in particular do they have any comments on using DRAT as
the name, which subsumes their popular Rat name?

- It's awesome to see ™ included in a proposal (most people forget), but
they're mixed up.  Apache should be ® (when needed; when talking about
individual project names it's usually not needed) and most project names
should be ™.  So it would be either Apache® Rat™ or Apache Rat™.

Thanks for filling out the rest of the proposal.

- Shane

Chris Mattmann wrote on 8/10/17 1:59 AM:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Just as an FYI I've added a resolution to establish DRAT to the agenda.
>
> On item - 2 of the proposed PMC includes members without an Apache account. What to do
in this situation? If they start only as committers, that's fine, but then we would create
an account for them after the fact. Is this the desire? If so I will update the resolution
and we can VOTE them in as PMC after the project is establish should the Board agree to do
so.

> Thanks,
> Chris
>

> On 2017-08-02 10:35, Chris Mattmann <mattmann@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Board-Chat@,
>>
>> CC/Incubator@
>>
>> We are proposing to bring DRAT (Distributed Release Audit Tool) to the ASF.
>> DRAT is a parallelized version of Apache RAT that uses OODT, Solr and Tika to
>> compute, visualize and interact with interesting statistics on code auditing as
>> output by RAT and Tika. With DRAT you can:
>>
>> • Audit large code repositories (has been tested in 100s of M of lines of
>> code, and 1000s of projects)  where RAT fails to complete – an example of
running it across all of Apache
>> SVN is here: http://drat.dyndns.org:8080/dratviz/ You can also see its output
>> for a very large set of NSF funded geosciences code repositories here:
>> http://drat.dyndns.org:8080/dratontoviz/
>> • Visualize and interact with the output from RAT and Tika in a dynamic fashion
>> • Get incremental status from code auditing
>> • Audit individual code repos and integrate the results into your project
>>
>> DRAT was funded by DARPA, NASA, the NSF and other government entities.
>>
>> We have prepared a preliminary proposal here: https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DRATProposal
>>
>> We are working on flushing it out more, should be done by this weekend. We propose

>> DRAT to be a straight to TLP (pTLP). I will add a resolution into the Board agenda
for August 2017
>> for its consideration. I am CC’ing the Incubator so that we can potentially
attract new contributors
>> both seasoned and junior to the project. We also welcome any contributors from Creadur
interested
>> in learning more about OODT, Solr, Tika, etc. Also any Wicket gurus – we are
using Wicket for one of
>> DRAT’s key user interfaces, Proteus.
>>
>> OK, thanks!
>>
>> Cheers,