incubator-general mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Fluo graduation as TLP
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2017 23:01:58 GMT

On 7/5/17 1:51 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> I have some questions:
>
>> On Jul 5, 2017, at 10:18 AM, Josh Elser <elserj@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> As a mentor, I consciously avoided an explicit "+1" until we got some IPMC discussion.
Let me expand:

>> The current members of Fluo are great, get the Apache Way, and are self-sufficient.
I have no concerns over them operating as a TLP -- I think they are ready. However, they have
only added a single committer and I see none in the pipeline -- Fluo is defined by the current
committers.

> (1) Seems to be a niche project as you state below which is just within the range of
5 contributors. Am I wrong?

Yup, that sounds about right. I'm notice three of them being the most
active, but I tend to not watch that closely.

>> My hesitation is balancing the Incubators goal of "pushing podlings to graduate"
and ensuring adequate diversity in the podling. This is especially difficult for Fluo as they're
"niche on niche" (it's a difficult dist-sys problem/software, and not many people use the
tech they're building on top of given my view of the world).

>> I realize that this discussion could easily spiral out of control, turning into some
meta-discussion about Incubator goals. I want to avoid that.

>> I'm looking for some feelings from other IPMC folks about how to approach the Fluo
podling given their specific circumstances. If other people are also hesitant, I would also
be interested in suggestions about what we would concretely change (because I don't know what
to suggest that "fix" the diversity issue for them that isn't changing the core of their project).
If people aren't worried, I'm happy to give an explicit +1.

> (2) Has any consideration been given to becoming a project within Accumulo? Or are the
goals of Fluo distinct from and not wholly dependent on Accumulo?

> (3) Corollary - it seems a large number of Fluo Initial Committers were also Accumulo
PMC. (I not intentionally rehashing any prior conversation.)

Will leave Christopher's response to (thoroughly) answer this ;)