incubator-general mailing list archives

From Qiang Kou <q...@umail.iu.edu>
Subject R package in Apache projects
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2017 18:28:07 GMT
Hi,

I am sending this email for how to handle R package in an Apache project.
Any opinions or advice will be truly appreciated.

In MXNet, R is one of the programming languages we support and we have an R
package for MXNet (https://github.com/dmlc/mxnet/tree/master/R-package).

The MXNet R package relies on Rcpp, which is licensed under GPL >= 2.

The R package is optional and will be skipped during the release. We have
provided the instructions on installing R and other dependencies if users
want to use the R interface.

Our case is very similar with Spark, which also has an R package (
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/master/R/pkg).

Is this acceptable by the foundation? *The R package is optional and
skipped during the release.*

If not, what is the best practice to handle an R package in Apache projects?

Any comments or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Qiang Kou

--
Qiang Kou