incubator-general mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Fluo graduation as TLP
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2017 17:18:29 GMT
As a mentor, I consciously avoided an explicit "+1" until we got some
IPMC discussion. Let me expand:

The current members of Fluo are great, get the Apache Way, and are
self-sufficient. I have no concerns over them operating as a TLP -- I
think they are ready. However, they have only added a single committer
and I see none in the pipeline -- Fluo is defined by the current committers.

My hesitation is balancing the Incubators goal of "pushing podlings to
graduate" and ensuring adequate diversity in the podling. This is
especially difficult for Fluo as they're "niche on niche" (it's a
difficult dist-sys problem/software, and not many people use the tech
they're building on top of given my view of the world).

I realize that this discussion could easily spiral out of control,
turning into some meta-discussion about Incubator goals. I want to avoid
that.

I'm looking for some feelings from other IPMC folks about how to
approach the Fluo podling given their specific circumstances. If other
people are also hesitant, I would also be interested in suggestions
about what we would concretely change (because I don't know what to
suggest that "fix" the diversity issue for them that isn't changing the
core of their project). If people aren't worried, I'm happy to give an
explicit +1.

- Josh