incubator-general mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Images in source code.
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2017 20:48:05 GMT
On 6/2/17 1:15 PM, James Bognar wrote:
> I just added several png files to the source tree of our podling.  I
> created them myself.  Are there any best-practices on how to mark these as
> Apache licensed?

I'm not sure of a good way to track this. I'm not sure if png supports
arbitrary metadata which could be edited. Some ways I've seen used
elsewhere to try to better propagate license/ownership:

* Comments on the issue-tracker issue that introduced them citing
origin/source (typically for images that are copied, not created)
* Entry in LICENSE/NOTICE (shouldn't be done unnecessarily, of course)
* A README in the same directory with relevant info

If the images are of the podling's creation, I wouldn't be particularly
worried. The copyright notice on your source-release and LICENSE are
sufficient to inform downstream consumers.

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but hope it helps :)

- Josh