incubator-general mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Migrating to the New Incubator Website
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2017 16:49:23 GMT
On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 5:35 AM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org>
wrote:

> All,
>
> I'd like to start the process to move forward on a new incubator website.
> Based on discussions in the past on list, I wanted to do the following:
>
> - Roll out a new technology stack + repository
> - Leave content in place, while we work later on content enhancements
>
> For right now, I'm planning to leave the existing /projects and
> /ip-clearance in place.  My hope is that we may not need them in the
> future.
>
> The website staging area can be seen here:
> https://incubator.apache.org/ngtest/
> The git repository for the site can be seen here:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator.git;a=
> shortlog;h=refs/heads/jbake-site
> (with
> github mirror at https://github.com/apache/incubator/tree/jbake-site )
>
> I'd like to get some final feedback on the layout and colors (not the
> content).  I want to start tracking content enhancements in JIRA to help
> come up with a backlog of areas of improvement for our incubator guides.

I'm very familiar with the old layout, so this may be coloring my feedback.
However I find the new layout to be less usable than previous. In
particular the drop downs lack structure. I think it would be better to
focus on "solutions" e.g. "bootstrapping a new podling" along with assoc
docs, or "graduating a podingling" etc... - basically focus around the
lifecycle of podling rather than a big long list of "guides". Additionally
it's hard to find things with the new layout, I used to use the browser
"search" feature to narrow down to a particular doc. Now I need to click on
each of the drop downs to find the content I'm looking for. Additionally
things like wiki/faq/etc... - can't find them at all.

Patrick