incubator-general mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Looking for additional mentor for Edgent with community growth ideas/focus
Date Thu, 18 May 2017 12:45:32 GMT
Hi Martin,

This sounds really interesting! I am redirecting to the Edgent dev list and bcc'ing general@incubator.a.o
so the conversation can continue there. I hope you will join there. Maybe we could have an
edge analytics ideas wiki page to spark ideas and interest.

Best

Katherine

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 17, 2017, at 1:10 PM, Martin Gainty <mgainty@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> my first impression when i first saw this 25 years ago when we stuffed network analytics
into a MIB was that

> as long as you have SNMP protocol stack and RIPv2 enabled gateway you could pass traffic
info from Network device to NetworkDevice.

> Cisco is probably the only company that picked up the ball on this concept with its own
protocol IGMP

> consequently I havent heard about network analytics as NA r&d disappeared into Cisco
private domain

> Given the fact that entire countries have gone dark because of what we called "network
storm" now called Denial of Service does it not make sense to revive the concept of network-aware
imps if for no other reason than to route traffic away from busy networks or networks burdened
by DOS attack vectors.?

> maybe this is pipe dream but if we can somehow config network devices to become self-aware
and intelligently

> route traffic away from heavily trafficked nodes and networks.. I could easily see these
algorithms implemented by network intensive apps such as zookeeper and zookeeper under kafka