incubator-general mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Looking for additional mentor for Edgent with community growth ideas/focus
Date Wed, 17 May 2017 02:16:58 GMT
Will,

(moving general@incubator to BCC)

I'll point out that the expectations of a podling are skewed based on how
that podling is operating.  If we see a high level of on list activity,
making it clear that its list first, it may make sense to graduate a less
diverse podling, simply because its clear that the podling understands the
expectations and will be clear about their decision making.  We can also
bank on mentors sticking around the PMC to keep them moving.

FWIW, my background is in messaging so I suspect from a technical
standpoint I get some of the integrations you're working on.  My eyes
always light up when I see MQTT or AMQP on a slide.

The easiest way to get more users is to leech on to existing projects that
seem to be going well.  Yes, I know "leech on" can be seen as negative, but
it helps draw some notion of what you're really after.  For instance, we
saw an IoT Operating System right before Edgent, is there an opportunity to
bake in a Mynewt distribution that includes Edgent, produced by the Edgent
community?  And if such a thing did exist, would existing Mynewt users
potentially use Edgent for their analytics?   You also listed a limitation
in the Edgent platform, focused on Java.  Does it make sense to produce a
Swift based client?

John