incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Mynewt from podling to TLP
Date Wed, 31 May 2017 21:26:38 GMT
On 31 May 2017 at 16:09, aditi hilbert <aditi@runtime.io> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Apache Mynewt podling just passed the vote within its community to graduate it to
a Top Level Project.
> An informational note was sent out earlier about the vote going on and it was pointed
out that the status page
> needed to be updated. We have done that.
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/mynewt.html <http://incubator.apache.org/projects/mynewt.html>
>
> I’d like to share the full text of the proposed resolution and open it up to discussion
for at least 72 hours
> before putting it to a formal vote.
>
> ----------------
> The incubating Apache Mynewt community believes it is time to graduate to TLP.
>
> Apache Mynewt entered incubation in October of 2015.  Since then, we've overcome technical
challenges and built Apache's first Operating System for IoT devices, and made 6 releases.
 Our most recent releases include NimBLE, OIC1.1 support, MCUbootloader. We are a very helpful
and engaged community, ready to answer all questions and feedback directed to us via the user
list.  We've added several committers from different organizations, and are actively pursuing
others. While we continue working on maturity, all projects are ongoing processes, and we
believe we no longer need the incubator to continue.

> To inform the discussion, here is some basic project information:
>
> Project status:
>  http://incubator.apache.org/projects/mynewt.html <http://incubator.apache.org/projects/mynewt.html>
>
> Project website:
>  http://mynewt.incubator.apache.org/ <http://mynewt.incubator.apache.org/>
>
> Project documentation:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Apache+Mynewt+Project <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Apache+Mynewt+Project>
>
> Maturity assessment:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Maturity+model <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Maturity+model>
>
> DRAFT of the board resolution is at the bottom of this email
>
> Proposed PMC size: 20 members
>
> Total number of committers: 20 members
>
> Various PMC/Committer affiliations (* indicated chair)
>   Runtime (6)
>   Google (1)
>   Imagination Technologies (1)
>   Codecoup (4)
>   Adafruit (1)
>
> 4,565 commits on develop
> 280 closed PR”s on GitHub
> 39 contributors across all branches
> 92 forks on Github
>
> dev list averaged ~200 msgs/month in the last one year
>
> 647 issues created
> 465 issues resolved/closed
>
> --------------
> Resolution:
>
> Establish the Apache Mynewt Project

> interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
> Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
> Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
> open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the
> public, related to a data management platform that provides
> real-time, consistent access to data-intensive applications
> throughout widely distributed cloud architectures.

The project description does not look right.

Also I think there are some issues with the downloads.

There are some releases on the ASF mirror system, however there do not
appear to be any links to the current release (or indeed to archives).
The ASF releases *source*  (see previous paragraph) which must be
published via the ASF mirror system.

Also obsolete downloads are not being tidied up.

> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
> Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Mynewt Project",
> be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the
> Foundation; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the Apache Mynewt Project be and hereby is
> responsible for the creation and maintenance of software
> related to an embedded OS optimized for networking and built for remote management of
constrained devices that are incapable of running either Linux or Android.

Disagrees with the first paragraph

> RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Mynewt" be
> and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
> serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
> of the Apache Mynewt Project, and to have primary responsibility
> for management of the projects within the scope of
> responsibility of the Apache Mynewt Project; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
> hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
> Apache Mynewt Project:
> *Justin Mclean” <jmclean@apache.org <mailto:jmclean@apache.org>>
> *P. Taylor Goetz” <ptgoetz@apache.org <mailto:ptgoetz@apache.org>>,
> *Greg Stein <gstein@apache.org <mailto:gstein@apache.org>>,
> *Jim Jagielski <jim@apache.org <mailto:jim@apache.org>>,
> *Sterling Hughes <sterling@apache.org <mailto:sterling@apache.org>>,
> *Marko Kiiskila <marko@apache.org <mailto:marko@apache.org>>,
> *will sanfilippo <wes3@apache.org <mailto:wes3@apache.org>>,
> Christopher Collins <ccollins@apache.org <mailto:ccollins@apache.org>>,
> Vipul Rahane <vipulrahane@apache.org <mailto:vipulrahane@apache.org>>,
> Fabio Utzig <utzig@apache.org <mailto:utzig@apache.org>>,
> Andrzej Kaczmarek <andk@apache.org <mailto:andk@apache.org>>,
> Michał Narajowski <naraj@apache.org <mailto:naraj@apache.org>>,
> Szymon Janc <janc@apache.org <mailto:janc@apache.org>>,
> Łukasz Rymanowski <rymek@apache.org <mailto:rymek@apache.org>>,
> Neel Natu <neel@apache.org <mailto:neel@apache.org>>,
> Peter Snyder <peterfs@apache.org <mailto:peterfs@apache.org>>,
> Paul Dietrich <paulfdietrich@apache.org <mailto:paulfdietrich@apache.org>,
> Julian Ingram <julian@apache.org <mailto:julian@apache.org>>,
> Kevin Townsend <ktown@apache.org <mailto:ktown@apache.org>>,
> Aditi Hilbert <aditi@apache.org <mailto:aditi@apache.org>>

Resolutions don't usually contain mailto: links