incubator-general mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Looking for additional mentor for Edgent with community growth ideas/focus
Date Wed, 17 May 2017 20:10:59 GMT
my first impression when i first saw this 25 years ago when we stuffed network analytics into
a MIB was that

as long as you have SNMP protocol stack and RIPv2 enabled gateway you could pass traffic info
from Network device to NetworkDevice.

Cisco is probably the only company that picked up the ball on this concept with its own protocol
IGMP

consequently I havent heard about network analytics as NA r&d disappeared into Cisco private
domain

Given the fact that entire countries have gone dark because of what we called "network storm"
now called Denial of Service does it not make sense to revive the concept of network-aware
imps if for no other reason than to route traffic away from busy networks or networks burdened
by DOS attack vectors.?

maybe this is pipe dream but if we can somehow config network devices to become self-aware
and intelligently

route traffic away from heavily trafficked nodes and networks.. I could easily see these algorithms
implemented by network intensive apps such as zookeeper and zookeeper under kafka

Salutations to all (including dogs)

WDYT?

Martin