incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Pulsar - proposal for Apache Incubation
Date Mon, 01 May 2017 21:55:36 GMT
Hi -

I had a discussion with Joe and another gentleman involved in Pulsar.

They asked how long incubation takes. I answered that it depends. We reviewed some of the
steps needed in Incubation particularly:

- Release process with correct LICENSE and NOTICE
- Community building requirement - especially accepting and promoting someone new from outside
the initial committers.
- Everything on the ML meaning decisions which might be made in conversation need to be there
for a review over a few rotations of the planet. I mentioned BFDLs not being what is wanted
and told the 10 year old story of POI’s OOXML flame.
- Build infrastructure questions regarding unit tests some of which will be preferred on clusters.
Some are currently proprietary. I’m not sure what Apache Infra currently supports so negotiation
is required.

I think that there is a good chance for a diverse community that will not be wholly dependent
on Yahoo.

End result - I am willing to sign up as a Mentor for Pulsar.

Regards,
Dave

> On Apr 28, 2017, at 7:56 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> I am trying to decide if I personally wish to mentor Pulsar and will be asking technical
questions. IMO this is not appropriate to an Incubator discussion. Anything that surfaces
that is appropriate can be brought back to this discussion.

> There is no intension to subvert Incubator process.
>
> I certainly understand asynchronous global teams. I've spent many years working with
development teams in Moscow and India.