incubator-general mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmars...@apache.org>
Subject Looking for additional mentor for Edgent with community growth ideas/focus
Date Mon, 15 May 2017 19:31:59 GMT
The Edgent community has just about all the pieces in place, great well
designed reliable software for analytics at the edge, great Apache Way
attitude and  understanding and open development from the committers and
ppmc members, successful releases and good documentation of the release
process, very welcoming to anyone who shows interest in joining the
community, no sticky legal or IP issues that I anticipate.

The only significant problem I see at this point is growing the size and
diversity of the user and development community.  Our last new committer
was a year ago and just saw only two new subscribers to the dev list in
our last reporting period.

I think it is a good time to bring on a new mentor for Edgent to help
kick start community growth.   Any interest?

At Apachecon this week there are a couple of talks about Edgent.  Please
attend if you are there and spread the word to anyone who might have
interest in either mentoring or getting involved in the Edgent community
or trying Edgent.  Please forward to anyone who might be interested.

Tuesday May 16 2:30 pm:
     * Video Analytics at the Edge: Fun with Apache Edgent, OpenCV and a
       Raspberry Pi - Dale LaBossiere and William Marshall, ppmc members and
       committers for Edgent.

Wednesday May 17: 12:15pm:
     * Having fun with Raspberry(s) and Apache Projects - Jean-Frederic
Clere.

Even if you can't come on as a mentor, I would most appreciate advice on
what the current mentors can do. I can imagine lots of applications, but
I don't have a lot of industry contacts now and will soon retire from my
day job and will have even fewer.  I will probably have some time to
yell, "Rah, Rah Edgent!" , but not sure my captive audience (my little
brown dog)  has real interest or contacts either.

Best

Kathey

About Edgent

Apache Edgent is a programming model and micro-kernel style runtime that
can be embedded in gateways and small footprint edge devices enabling
local, real-time, analytics on the continuous streams of data coming
from equipment, vehicles, systems, appliances, devices and sensors of
all kinds (for example, Raspberry Pis or smart phones). Working in
conjunction with centralized analytic systems, Apache Edgent provides
efficient and timely analytics across the whole IoT ecosystem: from the
center to the edge.

http://edgent.incubator.apache.org/