incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: private list subscriptions
Date Sat, 20 May 2017 23:54:16 GMT

> On May 20, 2017, at 4:05 PM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Dumb question time.

I don't think the question is dumb.

> Should we encourage that @apache.org addresses are used when subscribing to
> a private PMC list; and if not all PMC members have subscribed on a
> podling, can one subscribe their @apache.org addresses for them?
>
> Or should we mandate that @apache are used?

I don't think Apache should be interfering with peoples' email practices. People like to control
the disposition of mail they receive. For example, subscribing different email addresses to
different lists is for some a lot easier than trying to manage rules for which messages go
into which folders.

> Does anything automatic happen that ensures that only committers'
> addresses, or one of their preferred alternative addresses, are being used?
> I'm suspecting not.

Private list subscriptions are always moderated. Moderators have an obligation to verify that
the email address proposed to be subscribed to a list belongs to an authorized user. Authorized
meaning that the email is registered to an Apache committer via the id.apache.org tool.

I'm personally responsible for moderating subscription lists and while it's somewhat of a
nuisance, it's manageable. Comes with the moderator territory.

So I don't believe this is a problem. If you suspect that some subscribers to some private
lists are not authorized, please raise this with infra.

Regards,

Craig

> Thanks,
>
> Hen