incubator-general mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Ratis incubating Release 0.1.0-alpha rc0
Date Tue, 09 May 2017 15:26:04 GMT
+1 (binding)

* sig/xsums OK
* NOTICE ok, LICENSE is good enough (see below)
* DISCLAIMER present
* Incubating is in artifact name
* Can build from source and could run tests

* All of your additions to LICENSE (over "stock") are unnecessary. The
trap you fell into is differentiating between what Ratis *depends* on
and what Ratis *bundles*. You do not bundle protobuf, grpc, slf4j, etc,
therefore you do not need to mention them in your release artifact. (If,
at some point, Ratis releases a "binary" artifact that does include that
software, you would need those entries in the LICENSE file bundled with
that artifact)
* The L&N files your bundle in your shaded jars (e.g.
ratis-proto-shaded) are wrong for the opposite of the reason above (you
include extra software but don't mention them in LICENSE/NOTICE). You
should fix this for a later release.
* Might you consider getting a website up for Ratis to help attract new
community members? There's a template[1] which should make this much easier.
* A `mvn package` on a fresh installation dirties the workspace, causing
subsequent builds to fail on the RAT check on the file
`ratis-0.1.0-alpha/ratis-proto-shaded/dependency-reduced-pom.xml`. You
should configure the shade plugin to create this file in target/

When you finish the release, don't forget to populate a KEYS file in
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/ratis.

- Josh

[1] https://github.com/apache/apache-website-template