incubator-general mailing list archives

From Tsz Sze <szets...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Ratis incubating Release 0.1.0-alpha rc0
Date Wed, 10 May 2017 00:29:29 GMT
Hi Josh,

Thanks a lot for reviewing the RC and providing many useful comments.

I just have uploaded our KEY file to https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/ratis/KEYS

For the other issues, definitely will fix them in a later release.

Tsz-Wo

On 5/9/17, 8:26 AM, "Josh Elser" <elserj@apache.org> wrote:

    +1 (binding)

    * sig/xsums OK
    * NOTICE ok, LICENSE is good enough (see below)
    * DISCLAIMER present
    * Incubating is in artifact name
    * Can build from source and could run tests

    * All of your additions to LICENSE (over "stock") are unnecessary. The
    trap you fell into is differentiating between what Ratis *depends* on
    and what Ratis *bundles*. You do not bundle protobuf, grpc, slf4j, etc,
    therefore you do not need to mention them in your release artifact. (If,
    at some point, Ratis releases a "binary" artifact that does include that
    software, you would need those entries in the LICENSE file bundled with
    that artifact)
    * The L&N files your bundle in your shaded jars (e.g.
    ratis-proto-shaded) are wrong for the opposite of the reason above (you
    include extra software but don't mention them in LICENSE/NOTICE). You
    should fix this for a later release.
    * Might you consider getting a website up for Ratis to help attract new
    community members? There's a template[1] which should make this much easier.
    * A `mvn package` on a fresh installation dirties the workspace, causing
    subsequent builds to fail on the RAT check on the file
    `ratis-0.1.0-alpha/ratis-proto-shaded/dependency-reduced-pom.xml`. You
    should configure the shade plugin to create this file in target/

    When you finish the release, don't forget to populate a KEYS file in
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/ratis.

    - Josh

    [1] https://github.com/apache/apache-website-template