incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Podling release vote terminology
Date Tue, 09 May 2017 18:00:29 GMT
I've seen a few (recent) incubator votes that imply that there are two separate, distinct votes:
one in the podling and one in the incubator general. And lots of questions about binding votes
and carried-over votes and whose votes are counted.

I'd like to suggest:

There is one vote for a podling release candidate. The first phase of the vote takes place
on the podling dev list. Anyone can vote. An affirmative vote by three PPMC members (including
mentors) is sufficient to start the second phase, which takes place on the incubator general
list. An individual's vote can be changed any time during either phase until the final vote
is tallied.

All votes are counted. Only IPMC member votes are binding. The final tally counts affirmative,
neutral, and negative votes from both phases combined and affirmative, neutral and negative
binding votes from both phases combined.

This terminology answers questions about:

Whether PPMC votes are binding. They are not.
Whether IPMC member votes on the first phase of voting carry over to the second phase. They
do.
Whether public votes in either phase count. They do.
Whether public votes in either phase are binding. They are not.

If we agree on the terminology, I'll see what documents need to be updated.

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org