incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE]: Apache Weex-incubating Release 0.12.0-RC2
Date Sun, 23 Apr 2017 17:30:42 GMT
On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 7:26 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org>
wrote:

> Sure - but there's still issues with it.  And you still need a NOTICE file
> in your source distribution.

True. But it would be a single "from Apache..." note, as we are not
bundling anything else.

> I thought about your points a bit more last night, and conversely I want to
> explain why its actually more of a burdon.  Suppose that for some reason I
> found the contents of this class to be useful and wanted to use it alone in
> my work:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-weex/blob/master/
> android/commons/src/main/java/com/alibaba/weex/commons/
> SimpleWeexActivity.java
> .
> By having an extremely verbose NOTICE, as a user of this file alone, I have
> to carry all of that along with me.

I think you will get more than one answer if asking 3 lawyers on this,
because if you single out that class file, then the discussion is quickly
whether the "work" is that class file, or all the stuff around it.

Example; say that I use something that was licensed to me under a BSD
license, but is not otherwise published elsewhere, or maybe hard to locate.
I use that work in a larger work which I release under GPL. So, you come
along and find this file and say "hey, exactly what I have been looking
for"... Is that file now GPL, even though the file header may say
otherwise, and no matter whether I intended that? This is analogous of your
case above, but perhaps spelled out a bit more dramatically.

And honestly, hand on heart, how often is picking individual source files
done, compared to the endless number of binary dependencies that are
resolved by the hour? And most business software that I have ended up
working on places those dependencies in the mid-to-high hundreds, even
beyond thousand, where IF built from source, YOU would have to go figure
each one out manually. Can you honestly claim that is less "burden", even
IF all 100 lines of notice needs to percolate downstream ad nauseum, which
in reality is a "cat his/NOTICE her/NOTICE >my/NOITCE"?

I also just noticed that <strike-through>your</strike-through>
> <inserted>the</inserted> files are including the full license text of

the apache license in each file.  We typically use the abbreviated version.

Yeah, I know that. I thought to tackle that with a package name change that
I would also like to see soon.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer