incubator-general mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incubator Governance Change
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2017 19:00:27 GMT

> On Apr 24, 2017, at 11:48 AM, P. Taylor Goetz <ptgoetz@gmail.com> wrote:

> While podlings have an explicit set of mentors, the IPMC as a whole can be thought of
as an informal set of mentors. Reviewing and voting on podling release candidates is one way
for any IPMC member to help a podling whether a mentor or not.

I agree.

Mentors are the first line of support for questions. They read all of the traffic on the dev
and private lists. And yes, they vote on releases, but in practice podlings only have 1 or
2 active mentors. So, podlings need votes IPMC members need to vote.

Anyone who doesn’t have time to vote on at least 2 release candidates a year should, in
my opinion, resign from the IPMC. I’m sorry, but apathy really pisses me off. It drags us
all down. I’d rather spend time with a few motivated people than a whole load of dead-weights.

Julian